Richard Varey is the husband of Margaret Stamper, my 1st cousin 3x removed.
Margaret was born in Kendal, Westmorland – her birth is registered in the March quarter of 1862. She was baptised on 4 May 1862. Her parents are William Stamper and Alice Rooking. Our common ancestors are Joseph Rooking and Mary Carradice – my 3x great grandparents. Sometime in the March quarter of 1899 Margaret married Richard in Kendal.
Richard had been born on 26 August 1866 at Holme, Westmorland.
After their marriage they lived at Holme. Richard worked as a limestone quarrymen for sometime but his main occupation was as a farm labourer.
In the 1939 Register (taken at the outbreak of WW2) Richard was a widower living at Duke Street, Holme, Westmorland. Margaret had passed away nine years earlier.
Richard died on 7 April 1953 and I recently found the following report in the Lancaster Guardian of Friday 24 April 1953 about the inquest held into his death (image from http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk).
HAD STROKE, FELL ON FIRE
Man 87 found by brother 81
Visiting his elder brother at Holme on Good Friday, white-haired 81-year-old Mr. Robert Varey of Clawthorpe, near Burton, found him dying with his head in the fireplace.
He told this at a Lancaster inquest on Friday on his brother, 87-year-old Richard Varey of Duke Street, Holme, who died in Lancaster Infirmary on Tuesday, April 7.
Mr. Varey said his brother was a retired farm worker. “I went round to his house at 1.45p.m.” he said. “I usually go twice a week. I went through into the kitchen where he had his meals and did his cooking.
HEAD AGAINST BOILER
“He was lying on the floor with his head against the boiler near the fireplace. The boiler does not hold water but it gets very hot and you can’t bide your hand near it.
“In front of the fire a chair was lying on its side and there was also a pan of porridge near the fire. I know it was my brother’s habit to sit on the chair by the fire while he made his porridge.
“It looked to me as if he had been doing that when he fell off the chair for some reason. He was still just alive when I got to him and he tried to speak but I could not make out the words. He was just about gone.”
Coroner Mr. G. F. E. Wilson recorded a verdict that death was due to a stroke and was hastened by burns to the scalp sustained in an accidental fall on a fire.