John Edward Lord is the husband of my 1st cousin 1x removed, Marjorie Musgrove. Marjorie’s parents are James Musgrove and Edith Jane Hibble. Our common ancestors are Joseph Musgrove and Elizabeth Ann Turner, my great grandparents.
John Edward was born in Clitheroe, Lancashire on 16 December 1917 to parents Edmund and Betty Lord (nee Capstick).
John and Marjorie married on 19 August 1939 at Clitheroe Congregational Church – I posted a newspaper report of their marriage last week – here. They had one daughter, Mary Patricia who was born in 1940.
John served in the 2nd Battalion, Coldstream Guards in WW2. His service number was 2659738.
In the Winter months of 1944 the 2nd Coldstream Guards took part in the Battle for Monte Ornito in the mountains of Italy from 8 February to 20 February. It was in this battle that John lost his life. According to the newspaper reports below John suffered chest wounds on 17th February and died in hospital on 20 February.
Clitheroe Advertiser and Times – 3 March 1944
GUARDSMAN KILLED IN ACTION
News was received by his wife yesterday that Guardsman John Edward Lord, eldest son of Mr and Mrs E Lord, of 29, Pendle Road, Clitheroe, had been killed in action in Italy. Twnety-five years of age, Guardsman Lord joined the Army shortly after the outbreak of war, leaving his employment as a conductor with the Ribble Motor Services. His brother, Ronald, a member of the local Territorial unit, is a prisoner of war. General sympathy will be accorded his wife and child, who live at 27, Chatburn Road, and his parents, in their sorrow.
Clitheroe Advertiser and Times – 10 March 1944
Mrs Lord, of Chatburn Road, Clitheroe, has received a letter from a chaplain in which he says that her husband, Guardsman John E Lord, whose death on active service we reported last week, died in hospital on February 20th, after being admitted on the 17th, suffering from chest wounds. “Everything humanly possible was done for him, and he showed great patience and courage.” the chaplain says. “He made a great fight for his life, and died peacefully. He lies buried in a little English cemetery in beautiful country in the Italian hills. A simple wooden cross is placed on his grave.”
Clitheroe Advertiser and Times – 24 March 1944
A portion of the morning service at Clitheroe Congregational Church, on Sunday, was set apart in remembrance of Guardsman John E Lord, who died of wounds in Italy. At the close of his sermon, the Rev J A Sinclair said: “We are today honouring one and thinking lovingly and gratefully of one who has laid down his life in the hope that it was not in vain. We are not out to glorify war, for war in itself has no glory; but we wish to pay our token of respect and esteem to one of our young men, John Ernest Lord, the fourth on our Honour Roll of those who have passed on. We did not have him long here, having come to us after the closing of Mount Zion Chapel, but long enough to know him fairly intimately. We shall remember him as quiet and unassuming, but willing to give himself courageously and unselfishly that tyranny and oppression might not strut across the earth in all its proud boastfulness and hideousness.”
John Edward Lord is buried at Minturno War Cemetery in Italy. His grave is marked by a cross with inscription:-
HE DIED THAT WE MIGHT LIVE
The following information is from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website.
On 3 September 1943 the Allies invaded the Italian mainland, the invasion coinciding with an armistice made with the Italians who then re-entered the war on the Allied side. Allied objectives were to draw German troops from the Russian front and more particularly from France, where an offensive was planned for the following year. Progress through southern Italy was rapid despite stiff resistance, but by the end of October, the Allies were facing the German winter defensive position known as the Gustav Line, which stretched from the river Garigliano in the west to the Sangro in the east. Initial attempts to breach the western end of the line were unsuccessful and it was not until 17 January 1944 that the Garigliano was crossed, and Minturno taken two days later. The site for the cemetery was chosen in January 1944, but the Allies then lost some ground and the site came under German small-arms fire. The cemetery could not be used again until May 1944 when the Allies launched their final advance on Rome and the US 85th and 88th Divisions were in this sector. The burials are mainly those of the heavy casualties incurred in crossing the Garigliano in January. Minturno War Cemetery contains 2,049 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War. The cemetery was designed by Louis de Soissons.