I’ve been missing from the blogging world for a few weeks but now I’m back.
At the beginning of September we had a family illness to deal with and things now look a lot better than they did nine weeks ago. So my focus has been somewhere else for a while.
However I haven’t been neglecting my family history research completely. I have been a subscriber to Ancestry for a long time but was becoming frustrated with not being able to find some entries in the 1901 census that I knew should be there. No matter what search criteria I used I couldn’t find any entries for my Dawson relatives in the village of Steeton with Eastburn, near Keighley, West Yorkshire. In fact I couldn’t find any entries at all for Steeton with Eastburn.
So I decided to buy a subscription to Find My Past. There were two reasons for this. One was to see if I had any better luck trying to find people living in Steeton with Eastburn. Second it gave me access to the 1911 census – I had been paying separately for this on the 1911 Census website and this was becoming expensive.
I was immediately rewarded. There it was – Steeton with Eastburn did exist in 1901 and there was a census!! I was able to fill in quite a few gaps in my information.
It seems that this whole village is missing from Ancestry.
I was then eager to start updating as much of my tree as I could with the 1911 census information. So over the past few weeks I have been trying to go through the primary names in my ancestry and systematically add the 1911 information and search for subsequent births, marriages and deaths. This work is ongoing.
I have to say that I was really excited at the prospect of using a new set of records from Find My Past. However I was also quite disappointed with the quality of some of the census transcriptions that I came across. I duly submitted corrections and they were quick to deal with these.
Don’t get me wrong here – I know how difficult it is to accurately transcribe handwriting especially if the document is not very clear and the location names are not known to the transciber. I discovered just how hard it was when I started transcribing for Family Search. But sometimes the correct information just seems so obvious. Anyway that’s my little rant out of the way.
As a result of all this my attention has been diverted from blogging – but I have kept up to date with some of my favourite bloggers and am glad to be back with you.